A Rather Embarrassing Night for Psychic Sally in Middlesbrough

I recently went to to see the 'psychic to the stars' Sally Morgan at Middlesbrough town hall, and if there was one word I could use to describe my night it would be 'boring'. First off I feel I have to say that I personally don't believe that psychics exist so, as you can imagine, I find people like Sally distasteful. This, however, was not the reason why I found the night boring as I do love this kind of thing and was genuinely excited to not only see her, but to gauge the audiences reaction to her show. The reason that it was boring was because the audience did not respond well to her after relatively early on in her performance, she showed the level of her psychic abilities.

Psychic Sally Middlesbrough

For those who don't know, psychic Sally Morgan is a British television and stage artist who claims to have (you guessed it...) psychic abilities. She believes that she inherited her abilities from her Grandmother who was affectionately known locally as the witch of Fulham. She has been the star of her own show and has an extensive list of clients including celebrities and royalty, and is currently on the road showing off her psychic abilities.

Sally came to Middlesbrough on Friday night and her show started off very well. Even though she was getting the vast majority of what she was saying wrong the audience did not seem to mind and seemed to be having a good time. The point at which the audience became disillusioned with the performance was quite specific. One aspect of the show is that audience members can submit photographs of dead loved ones, in the hope that Sally will select theirs, and give a psychic reading from it. Sally pulled out of a box on stage one of these pictures. She held the picture up to the camera and it was projected on the large screen behind her. The picture was of a middle-aged woman and by the clothes she was wearing and the quality of the image, I guessed it was taken some time in the 1990s. Sally immediately began to get communications from beyond the grave from a man holding a baby named Annabel……or was it Becky. Noticing that no one in the audience was responding, Sally asked the person who submitted the photo to stand up. A rather small chunky woman at the centre of the hall stood up and Sally once again began to get messages from the afterlife. She was informed that this man and baby were somehow linked to the lady in the picture. However the woman in the audience (who was now also projected behind Sally) disagreed and started to look increasingly confused as, presumably, nothing Sally was saying made any sense to her. Sally then decided to flat out ask her if the woman in the picture had any children who passed and, when informed that that she hadn’t, responded by saying “I will leave that then”.

Sally then became in direct contact with the woman in the photo who began to tell her that there was a lot of confusion around her death and that she felt it was very very quick. She later went on to say that the day Wednesday has a specific link to her death and that she either died on a Wednesday or was taken ill that day. As the woman in the audience was not responding to any thing Sally was saying, she decided to ask how the woman in the photo was related to her. It turns out the woman in the audience got the whole concept of submitting a picture of someone you wanted to talk to from the afterlife completely wrong – and for some unknown reason submitted a younger picture of herself.

The hall erupted in laughter, which quickly changed into disapproving mumbles that lasted the rest of the night. No matter how hard Sally tried, she was unable to get the audience back, who were becoming increasingly disgruntled with the number of ‘misses’ she was getting. Not only that, but the audience seemed to become more restrained when Sally was asking them questions. I also don’t think that they reacted well to some of the particularly offensive scenarios Sally was recreating. One involved her re-enacting a dead man flushing narcotics down a toilet to his immediate family, whilst repeatedly saying “flush it down”. Another was when she was talking to a teenage girl whose boyfriend had recently committed suicide by hanging himself. Sally told the girl that she can feel him hitting her leg and that he was, infact, re-enacting  swinging against a door as he was committing suicide.

I now think that the vast majority of people who walked out of Middlesbrough town hall that night feel as i do – that someone who is psychic should know if the person they are talking to is dead or not and that it’s quite a messed up thing for a person to pretend that they are in contact with a dead family member.

About Myles Power (752 Articles)
My name is Myles Power, and I run the educational YouTube channel, powerm1985. I spend what little free time I have sharing my love of SCIENCE! through home experiments, visiting sites of scientific interest, and angrily ranting at pseudoscience proponents. I am also one of the founding members of the podcast 'The League of Nerds' - which I co-host with James from 'The History of Infection'.

19 Comments on A Rather Embarrassing Night for Psychic Sally in Middlesbrough

1. pass a tiny chunk of metal through her skull at hundreds of feet per second

• larry long // May 19, 2014 at 12:56 pm // Reply

The procedure you are looking for is a transcranial hypersonic plumbium injection. Wile I generally deplore threats of violence in this case it would allow her to have more contact with dead people.

2. Boring!? You should find that funny! I’d die laughing!

3. Reblogged this on News Farts and commented:
    Theatre audience increasingly annoyed by baffling improv show.

4. oh dear

5. Anonymous // May 19, 2014 at 9:09 am // Reply

How sad that she as lost her abilities to be reduced to blagging it….. I’m a intuitive myself … in fact I spoke to a lady last night and was correct in every thing I told her ……I like many was born with the gift yet suppressed it not wanting to be labelled a freak lol in fact I couldn’t hide what I was and my Nick name was Witchy by my own siblings and family friends never bothered me I’m Me lol….. tomorrow at noon will be breaking news of a royal death…. wonder if it’s just me being freaky x

• If you’re confident in your abilities, and that a royal death will be announced tomorrow, why comment anonymously? And are you talking about British royalty, or global? An actual current, serving monarch, someone related (which, if you go back far enough, will of course be everyone), or could it be someone related to royalty, like a servant or commentator? Cast the web wide enough and you can almost guarantee such news will appear somewhere, psychic or not.

• Anonymous // May 19, 2014 at 7:30 pm //

It’s called putting an idea into people’s minds but then I’m not famous nor into public displays most haunted were based in Houldsworth Mill Reddish Stockport for a long time and were not a friendly bunch of people in fact they refused to come along to a charity horror night that was held there maybe because the actors would have scared them to death lol.

• (Reply to anonymous, as I can’t reply directly for some reason.)

That first part doesn’t answer the question; you can put thoughts into peoples minds whether you’re anonymous or not… and why would you need to anyway? What does it matter if it’s “in people’s mind” that someone will die tomorrow? And how many people’s minds do you think you’re going to reach? Do you think a lot of people are going to be reading these comments? I doubt it.

To me, this seems to have less to do with “staying out of the public eye”… if you didn’t want attention, you wouldn’t have said anything at all, you clearly want to be heard… and more to do with not wanting to be seen as a fraud if you’re wrong. You could reach more people, and stay just as anonymous, in any number of avenues.

As it is, you’re playing the odds. If something does happen tomorrow (and you still haven’t clarified how wide the net is, so the possibility for convenient coincidence is high… “See, a dog called Prince died, that’s what I felt”), you can pop up tomorrow and say “I told you so”, then point people here down the line. If it doesn’t, you vanish, and of the few people who saw your false claim first hand, none know who you are, so you can move on and try again.

• Anonymous // May 19, 2014 at 11:20 pm //

It gives one the option to be Anonymous which I have chosen to be I see no reason why I our anyone person should have to put a name face to a comment related to contents talkin about today I’m neither shy or a liar ……… you insult me Sir! Your views are one of many about Sally Morgan yet just because I was theoretically staying that an event could happen tomorrow …. the mind of a minority …… I chaired many a Spiritualist Church and never Got anything Wrong…… the messages I gave were accurate in fact I can do must physics Drawings being one of the gifts I was graced with……but I either brag nor ram it at anyone person this world is full of events that cannot be explained … Nuastadamu being one can you explain his visions writing I think not ….. Saint Bernadette ….is another person that is accounted as a visionary …..I’m neither out to shock or subject others to my points of view But Manchester did host Prince in concert this weekend gone….. Symbol …. theorists …. by the way I’m enjoying our conversation so much by the my name is Caz I’m A Gothic Pagan White Witch. Artists Designer and Horror Event Organiser Charity Worker and Disabled From Birth but that’s never stopped me being Me LOL …. there you now know what my Name is good night dear chap

• Ahh, that narrows it down, well done for coming out with something!

Now, here’s the thing. It is now “tomorrow”. It is gone noon. And I can’t help but notice there hadn’t been a news story about a royal dying. Your original comment was absolutely definitive. You talk about how you have a gift, how everything you say was correct, you follow with “tomorrow at noon will be breaking news of a royal death”… and now you’re claiming it was some theoretical statement, out of nowhere, for no reason? Why would someone who thinks they have a gift make something that obviously sounds like a prediction, and then back out with a cry of “not really”? I’m sorry, I don’t buy it. Why “open people’s minds” with a statement that will likely convince more people that psychic predictions are false?

But please, I invite you to prove me wrong, I would LOVE to have my world view opened to include psychic powers being real. Bookmark this page, or track me down elsewhere online (I’m easy to find), and next time you get a genuine, dyed-in-the-wool, absolutely certain prediction about the future, something that is unambiguous enough to be useful, whether it’s a week from now or 5 years, leave a message, and say what’s going to happen. And we’ll see.

• It’s been 6 years, and I guess Caz never got another promonition. What a terrible shame. Imagine how many lives could have been saved if she’d seen COVID coming.

• I’d day so,,yes..

• Stephanie // May 20, 2014 at 2:44 pm // Reply

Ummm it’s passed noon so can you point me in the direction of this news as the BBC, google and ITN all seem to have missed it.

• Anonymous // May 28, 2014 at 10:43 am //

Ok one thing I was right but it was my Nieces Grandmother that passed away that day just before midday my Niece just made it from Stockport to her Grandmother’s bedside before she passed over Newcastle is there family home ground…. Castle being a Royal Abode!!!! Gaylord being there family Name …..Ok I’m shocked I didn’t know that her Gran was ill let alone dying it was a sudden illness ….the family are awaiting news of what she died from at this time …hence why I’m replying now I’ve had a very busy week …..I’m sure you will think I’m lying but I’m NOT we have one very upset Niece and her Family on her Father’s Side are utterly in shock at losing their beloved Mother Grandmother and Great Grandmother ….it’s not a nice feeling knowing that you predicted a death and turns out to be a loved ones own family member think of it what you may I don’t really care your thoughts on me…. I have to live with what I predicted not you

6. Thought the Witch of Fulham was Felix Magath

7. Anonymous // May 19, 2014 at 9:27 am // Reply

the only gift you have is the gift of idiocy. Intuitive my arse.

8. Ha! A great story, I wish I could have been there to see what can only be described as the bubble being burst. The collective mind got woken up with laughter and once they were awake they could see right through the thin veil of bull.
    The type of person who attends these things, the person who is willing to part with their hard earned cash are already primed to believe that talking to the dead is a real possibility but if this incident proves anything it’s that their belief is only paper thin and once it’s broken there is no returning.
    However these people will probably go away and blame Sally for being a “bad psychic” and not examine why they themselves believe in patent nonsense. cras credemus, hodie nihil

1 Trackback / Pingback

1. Skepchick.no | Kjappiser: kvinner og vekt, utdanning, psychic Sally og alternativ forskning