Edited by Peter
What was once known as Miracle Mineral Supplement, but for legal reasons had to change its name to Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS), is a 28% sodium chlorite solution in distilled water currently being sold online as a cure-all tonic. Jim Humble, the man who coined the name and who is also the self-styled Archbishop of his own church (Genesis II), believes that once “activated” by an acidic solution, MMS can be used to cure people of our most feared illnesses including HIV, cancer, and malaria.
Sodium chlorite is a strong oxidiser and is used, among other things, to generate chlorine dioxide – a powerful disinfectant that has been used in the past as a water purifier. Chlorine dioxide can be produced when a food-grade acid (e.g. phosphoric acid, citric acid, or hydrochloric acid) is added to a Sodium chlorite solution (like MMS). The sodium chlorite is converted to a semi-stable intermediate chorus acid before decomposing to chlorine dioxide (ClO2), which further degrades to chlorite (ClO2-) and then finally chloride (Cl-). Chlorine dioxide is the compound which Jim believes gives MMS its almost miraculous abilities. He claims to have cured and treated over 2,000 people using MMS and to have trained others who have treated a further 100,000 . So how can chlorine dioxide be so specific and useful by only attacking pathogenic bacteria, viruses, cancer, etc. and not harm normal healthy human cells? Put simply, IT CAN’T!!!!
Chlorine dioxide or any other of the chemicals found or generated using MMS are not panaceas. There is no way of them to specifically target the source of any of the many things Jim is claiming they can. They will simply react with whatever they come into contact with, which can lead to some very unpleasant side effects. Even ingesting relatively small quantities of these toxic compounds can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. However, Jim, and others who promote the use of MMS, does not necessarily believe this is a bad thing.
“If you notice diarrhoea, or even vomiting, that is not necessarily a bad sign. The body is simply throwing off toxins and cleaning itself out. Some people say they feel much better after having diarrhoea. You do not have to take any medicine for it, as it will go away as fast as it came. It will not last. It is not caused by a bacteria or virus. When the toxins are gone, the diarrhoea is gone.”
In higher doses, MMS can cause renal failure, hemolysis (a rupturing of the red blood cells), and even death. Yet, despite these well documented side effects, MMS is still being promoted online and, in recent years, has picked up steam by claiming to be a cure for autism in children. A “bishop” in Jim’s church named Kerri Rivera wrote a book called ‘Healing the Symptoms Known as Autism’ in which she recommends not only giving autistic children hourly doses of MMS, but also advocates the use of MMS enemas. It should come to no surprise that giving a child an enema of what is essentially bleach will damage the lining of their bowel. This often leads to the child passing fibrinous material and bits of intestinal mucosal – which you would think, as with the nausea and vomiting, would give a clear warning sign. But those who promote MMS say that these children are passing parasites and that it is a sign of them becoming well.
So what is miracle mineral supplement? It’s a harmful mixture of toxic compounds that is being aggressively marketed online as a panacea by a man claiming to be an Archbishop to very sick people and unconsenting children. Put simply, it’s the worst kind of woo and should be avoided at all costs.