I realise that by publishing this video I run the risk of alienating a lot of subscribers and people who attend skeptic events, but I thought my experiences giving a proGMO talk were far too interesting to keep to myself. I am also not trying to bash any skeptical community. I have been attending my local skeptics in the pub (Teesside) since it started, and I love it. I can’t recommend it enough and I hope this video does not deter people from attending.
Support Myles through Patreon
For decades now, organisations like Greenpeace, GM-Freeze, and Friends of the Earth have done a fantastic job convincing the population that GM-food is harmful to humans. To do this, they have quoted scientific literature that claims GMOs have been shown, among other things, to cause cancer, leukaemia, and stomach inflammation; but is there really any truth to these claims? What do the papers these organisations are promoting really say, and do they have any flaws? Or, in actual fact, are GMOs going to kill us all?
Over the past year, I have been giving a talk to various skeptical and humanist groups across the country trying to answer these questions. To do this, I critiqued several highly referenced anti-GM papers, looking past their veneer of good science and discovering what they really say about GMOs and the organisations who promote them. My talk, essentially, was an amalgamation of my work here online fighting pseudoscience and scaremongering, and was heavily based on the following blog posts…
- Fact Checking the London March Against Monsanto Protesters – Liz O’Neill of GM-Freeze
- Is Glyphosate “Probably Carcinogenic to Humans” ?
- Fact Checking The London March Against Monsanto Protesters – The World Health Organisations U-Turn on Glyphosate
- Bad science in the paper “long term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant genetically modiﬁed maize”
- Drinking Roundup Herbicide Makes Men Live Longer
- Bad science in the paper ‘Hematotoxicity of Bacillus thuringiensis as Spore-crystal Strains Cry1Aa, Cry1Ab, Cry1Ac or Cry2Aa in Swiss Albino Mice’
- Bad Science in the Paper ‘a Long-Term Toxicology Study on Pigs Fed a Combined Genetically Modified (GM) Soy and GM Maize Diet’
Bad Science in the Paper ‘a Long-Term Toxicology Study on Pigs Fed a Combined Genetically Modified (GM) Soy and GM Maize Diet’https://mylespower.co.uk/2013/08/11/bad-science-in-the-paper-a-long-term-toxicology-study-on-pigs-fed-a-combined-genetically-modified-gm-soy-and-gm-maize-diet/
Overall, my talk received a lukewarm response and was poorly attended compared to my previous lectures on AIDS Denialism. I did however meet some very interesting people shall we say.
Intro Music by Michael ‘Skitch’ Schiciano