Myles tells us all about his recent issues with DMCAs and other legal issues.
Edited by Rach
The false-hope peddler Larry Cook has come to my attention once again. It’s not because he has produced anything particularly extraordinary over the past two years but rather because he had the audacity to file a false DMCA against one of my videos critical of his. He has since removed the DMCA (without giving me an apology) presumably after realising that gloating about it on Facebook whilst admitting that my video was a review of his left him open to legal action. Now a bigger man would have walked away from this and say this was a victory for the protection of free speech, but as I am only 5’8″ I decided to go after him like the angry little man I am!
When it came to choosing which of Larry’s videos I was going to rip into I was spoilt for choice but as luck would have it the first one I clicked on was a particularly fine gem of bad science. The video was called ‘Autism, Vaccines, Mercury and the Culpability of the American Academy of Paediatrics’ and starred the paediatrician and Orson Wells impersonator Dr. Kenneth P. Stoller MD.
The video consists of your typical anti-vaccination bollox which I have previously talked about in great detail and therefore am not going to bore you by repeating myself here. But what makes this video so unique is the bad chemistry. This video is also a shiny example of why you should not take as read something someone said because they have a fancy title or letters at the end of their name.
The video begins with an advertisement for Larry’s book and then kicks off with a good start when Stoller says that autistic children “were poisoned beyond what their bodies could process at a critical point of their development”. He goes on to say that pesticides or volatile organic compounds are to blame but for most it was a “soup of toxins and immune system disrupter found in vaccinations including the most deadly non-radioactive element on earth…mercury”. Like all who peddle this crap Stoller never gives any sources for me to check and is being so vague that I can’t track them down if they even exist at all. Continue reading
There seems to be a little bit of confusion after I posted the video “AIDS denialists file DMCAs against me” about the exact number of DMCAs I had received. This is understandable considering at the time I had three active strikes against my account which usally results in loss of ability to upload videos and channel deletion. However for some unknown reason my channel was still up and I still had the ability to upload. I don’t know if this was a glitch or the lovely people at YouTube helping out, but this protection did not last very long. As soon as Martin Penny and Knowledge Matters LLC found out, they filed yet another DMCA. With four active DMCAs against me, I was told that my channel would be deleted within a week and that all my hard work over the past three years would vanish into the ether. I asked for help from the fine people of the internet and I was truly overwhelmed by the response. I had people getting me in contact with lawyers in both the UK and the USA, people contacting their MPs and others writing blogs, posting videos & tweeting about this inexcuable censorship. One of the organisations I was put in contact with was the EFF who began to help me counter the DMCAs. Just over a week after the first DMCA was filed all my videos were put back online which is very strange considering there is usually a two-week counter notice period. It turns out that YouTube intervened in this situation and put my videos up as soon as possible. 20 internet points for you there people of YouTube!!!! This sound like the best outcome, however, now is not quite the time for celebration as the AIDS denialists have decided to take another approch to silence me. They decided to attack me in the real world.
I first became aware of this when I received an email from linked-in informing me that my profile has received unusually amount of traffic from a man named Dejorn Goldsmith. I thought this was a little bizarre as I never used my linked-in as its not a finished profile as it does not contain all my qualifications or all my previous employers. In all honesty I don’t even know why I had it, so I decided to remove it that night. Soon after I received a message from a reporter saying that Liam Scheff (the star of part 5 of my mini series and the first person to illegally file a DMCA against me) had found it necessary to shoehorn my personal information in a email he wrote to him. By the way if you want to see what a nasty venomous man Liam is I have posted excerpts of the messages he has sent me here.
About a month ago I published part 5 of my mini series debunking the AIDS denialist film House of Numers. In this video I was critiquing a short one minute clip where Liam Scheff was claiming that the paper ‘Heterosexual Transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) in Northern California: Results from a Ten-year Study’ was proof that HIV can’t be transmitted through Heterosexual sex. Liam was not very happy with my video, and to silence my criticism, he filed a false DMCA against it, but removed it a few days later – presumably so his friends Martin Penny and the people at Knollege Matters LLC could file theirs. Over the next two weeks Liam constantly spammed my Facebook page with insults and legal threats. Below are snippets of just some of what he published which I think give a fair represention of what kind of person Liam is.
- Hey deathhead. How long before your groomers start writing pieces for you – that you publish? Brian Deere, Seth Kalichman, John Moore. You meet any of these deathheads yet? Their arms way up your arse, princess?
- Myles, you look really small. Is that where your hatred comes from? I’m not picking on you, I’m just asking.
- Listen – about that study that you misunderstood because you’re retarded
- I will retract my claim against you for stealing. You’re a cunt, but that’s your business.
- Okay? Little bitch? Hopefully you’ll stop whining and crying soon and get back to lying and bitching. And, yeah, I’m really glad to meet you – because you’re such just excellent fodder, and people are going to love watching you squirm.
- Every week we’ll be visiting Myles to see what the little dumpster is puking out. He’s so entertaining, I don’t know how I missed it. It’s like the nazis hired Michael Sheen to write propaganda for them.
- I’m older than you are, so I’m not familiar with the spoiled little arrogant entitled destroy-everything-and-care-about-nothing school of thought that seems to be de rigeur among yourself and your horrible, trashy, servile fans…
- I don’t think it was false if it was upheld. And you can reply, contest it, and claim fair use. You just have to make the argument, I believe, which you’ve decided you won’t do, because you have to reveal who you really are in print. Who your channel belongs to, who runs it, and maybe who owns you.
- You’re free to argue with me, or anyone. But you’re libeling, slandering, and lying.
- Thanks – you could have just asked to use some of the video. I would have said no, because it’s not for ‘educational’ purposes. You’re doing propaganda.
- And what about those statistics from the ‘retrospective’ bit that Myles is so hard for? I mean… .0009%. Nine out of 10,000 good, hard screws with an ‘hiv positive’
- He’s a shill. He’s paid. He’s got his day job, and someone thought he’d be a good front for the “pro-science” crowd, which is just a pro-disinfo arm of the petrol/pharma conglomerate.
I have been DMCAed again!!!
This is yet another example of illegal misuse of the DMCA!
He is also gloating on his facebook about him committing perjury and is clearly aware that my video was a critique of his.
Myles is a scientist and YouTube vlogger whose videos focus on having fun with science and debunking popular myths and conspiracy theories. I had hoped to have him on to discuss the science behind and public opinion of genetically modified organisms but unfortunately the gods of the internet were against us. Between moving home, spotty internet access, mutant monkeys and a series of spurious copyright claims which threatened his channel there was simply no opportunity to record a full episode.
Instead, Myles took time to record a message for you all, answering your questions and telling us about the failed attempts of HIV denialists to have his series debunking their crockumentary, House of Numbers, removed from YouTube. This series has now been restored to YouTube and I recommend you take the time to go to his channel and enjoy what the people behind House of Numbers tried, and failed, to make disappear.
Homeopathy has consistently found to be an inneffective pre-scientific belief system of placebo pills. However it survives all over the World in a multi-million dollar Alternative Medicine business.
But if there is no active ingredient in homeopathy there are therefore no side-effects so if the “worried-well” want to spend their money and use it then where”s the harm?
I play with ferrofluids and some superconductors provided by Myles Powers.
Looks like this is goodbye :(
I have received yet another DMCA from Martin Penny and the people at Knowledge Matters LLC. This means that my account will be terminated in 7 days and I will be prohibited from creating a new account in the future.
If you think what is happening here is as disgusting as I do could you please point me in the direction of people who could help.
Could I also ask you to share my story with anyone who will listen – newspapers, MPs, bloggers, youtubers, etc.
Bye guys :(